Notes from In-house exile: Taking Notes on the Plagues Teachable Moments.
(8) March 25, 2020
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” ― Horace Mann
• “Trump Wants U.S. ‘Opened Up’ by Easter, Despite Health Officials’ Warnings.” But what he meant to say was something else… Despite his support from the faux-christian right wing bigots; he does not seem to be a Bible reader; and his ugly behavior definitely does not reflect an understanding of the foundational tenets of Christianity. Perhaps he is confusing the “Resurrection” with the “Crucifixion”.
• Being Black in the ‘stop-the-spread of Covid-19 virus’ isolation mode, feels a little like being Black in America isolation; only the pathogen in the later is racism. Just like U.S. racism will daily/hourly make you exhaustively aware of your traumatized ‘otherness’ and second-class citizenship; Covid-19 is making me daily and hourly aware of its ability to inflict pain, trauma and death on all of us. The Covid-19 virus is a racial sensitivity learning opportunity for our white brothers and sisters…
• “I Don’t Feel No Ways Tired”: Being able to choose the very manageable slight discomfort of isolation, over catching and/or spreading the Covid-19 Virus. “I Won’t Complain”: Because there are so many wonderful and brave food service, maintenance, health care, pharmacy, TV, radio, website managers, journalist, educators, postal workers, sanitation, utility workers, fire & police, transportation, etc. people; who are risking their health and lives for all of us every day. The least those of us who can stay home can do to support them is to keep our behinds in the house! Blessing and protective mercies on all who are working in the midst of the plague!
• Separate/Unequal and Economic Inequality, even during a plague. It seems that some folks get a sniffle and that same day they get a Covid-19 detection test; meanwhile…This White House has completely given leadership malpractice a work-in-practice example of how not to respond to a viral epidemic.
• Genesis 2:18 “The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone…” Got it, but right now I am going to go with the gospel according to the medical science professionals; stay home (alone if you must) if you can, this disease is not playing with you’ll!
• Stupidity as an affirmative defense. A core Trump-MAGA club value is the craving and worshiping of ignorance: There is this powerful narrative march away from science, enlightenment, modernity and progress; powered by hatred, anger and a retreat into rabid nativism…
• Something to cheer about in this Trumpian Plague season… (“Hell is empty, and all the devils are here.” ― William Shakespeare, The Tempest) In November ‘white independents’ (is that like being neutral on the topic of drunk driving), will be forced to show their true hands. Let’s see if white America has learned its lesson, or will the frogs and locust be sent next?